Complete the Building Permit Application and submit it to the Chief Building Official for the Township at 52 Front Street or by email. A preliminary appointment will be scheduled to review your application and supporting site plan, drawings etc.
In up to 10 working days, you will receive notification of your building permit approval if all requirements have been met.
For more information call the Building Department at 887-3135 ex. 228.
The Building Permit fees are $8.00 per $1,000 of construction costs, including all labour and materials. Example: Your deck estimate is $8,000, your fees will be $8.00 x 8 = $64.00.
How To Plan Your Construction Project
Source: Ontario Building Officials Association (OBOA), May 2021
Projects That Require a Building Permit
According to the Building Code Act, a building permit is required for the construction or installation of a new structure or the construction of an addition or alteration of any structure. The following projects require a building permit:
- new structures (residential, commercial, industrial and institutional)
- accessory buildings (larger than 10 square metres)
- any addition to a structure, regardless of the size of the addition
- interior alterations to create new rooms in a basement/attic or converting a garage to living space
- any structural changes including interior partitions
- adding structural features such as decks, balconies, canopies, etc.
- repairs or renovations
- a new entrance or new window opening
- adding new dormers
- raising the house to provide a full basement or first storey or to excavate the basement to provide a full basement
- enclosing a porch/roof or sundeck
- constructing a retaining wall larger than 3 feet and 3 inches of exposed height
- installing a pool or hot tub
- installing a fireplace or woodstove
- interior alterations to non-residential units
- any installation or alteration of a plumbing system
- replacing a sewer line/water service line
- converting from a septic system to Town sewer or water
- change of use